Pray the Memorare

The Memorare is an old prayer that has existed for several hundred years. Memorare means 'Remember' in Latin and it is prayed to Mary by Catholics. We pray to Mary asking her to intercede for our intentions. A novena is typically a nine day prayer, but if you don't have enough time, you can say the Memorare prayer nine times on the spot for your intention. Then you pray a tenth Memorare in thanksgiving, knowing that your prayer is going to be answered. Saint Teresa of Calcutta often prayed this novena in times of an emergency, and is also called the Flying Novena.

Once when it was my brother's birthday, I got a tiny speck of wood in my eye. It really hurt! I stuck my head in the sink filled with water while my eyes were open, though that didn't work in removing it. I tried lots of different things to get the speck out of my eye, but still nothing would work. Then Mum told me to say the Memorare novena for my eye, so I did. Not long after, Mum asked me if I still had the wood in my eye. Amazingly at that point, I realised that it had gone! The Memorare prayer worked! 😃

My brothers and I are currently memorising the Memorare prayer in case we are ever in an emergency and need to pray the Flying Novena. To be honest, we are also memorising the prayer because Mum rewards us with army figurines whenever we memorise a long text. 😉

  

                                           The Memorare


                                Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary,

                                        that never was it known,

                                    that anyone who fled to thy protection,

                                               implored thy help,

                                         or sought thy intercession,

                                               was left unaided.


                                    Inspired by this confidence,                                  

                                               I fly onto thee,

                                       O Virgin of Virgins my Mother.

                                To thee do I come, before thee I stand,

                                             sinful and sorrowful.

                                        O mother of the Word Incarnate,

                                   despise not my petitions,

                                but in thy mercy hear and answer me.

                                                   Amen.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love Cricket!

Lego Singer!

Thumbsey!

Knock Knock Jokes!

Joke time!

Kind lady.

Bounce, Shoot, Score!

Ten Hilarious Jokes

Very Dark